Nebraska-Based Internet Provider
GREAT PLAINS COMMUNICATIONS’ CORE VALUES
Accountability • Community • Integrity • Quality • Service • Teamwork
Great Plains Communications has a 100+ year history of providing reliable, innovative technology and communications solutions to business and residential customers. We proudly make a strong commitment to the sustainment and advancement of the communities we serve, and strive to provide the highest level of service and quality to our customers.
In 1910, newlyweds, Emory Clyde (E.C) and Vera Hunt lived in the town of Hampton, Iowa, where E.C. was the local manager for the Iowa Central Telephone Company. Ambitious to advance in the industry, E.C. was in search of new opportunities, and soon became general manager of Camp Dewey Telephone System, which served Creighton and Niobrara, Nebraska. E.C. also became a stockholder of the company and moved to Creighton with his wife in April, 1910. And so, the journey began.
In 1916, Camp Dewey Telephone System was renamed Northern Telephone. It would bear the same name until the consolidation into Great Plains Communications in 1985. In the interim, E.C. successfully purchased Bell Telephone and Farmers Telephone in Blair, NE, and moved his family to run the newly-formed Blair Telephone Company in 1926.
A modern building designed by Omaha architect, Frederick S. Scott, was built to house the company at 1638 Lincoln Street. Expansions and growth continued for the young family, but their roots that had formed in Blair, have remained in Blair.
Over the years, the company has evolved through several, instrumental acquisitions, and grown to become the largest privately-owned telecommunications company in Nebraska. Great Plains Communications recently celebrated its 106-year anniversary, and is now in its fourth generation of family ownership.