Passwords can be tricky. On one hand, you need something that is easy to remember. On the other, you need passwords that aren’t easy to guess and that keep your information safe.
While creating simple passwords can be tempting, it’s only going to make it easier for hackers to break into your accounts and access your sensitive information. In order to help keep you safe online, we have created a quick list of tips to create passwords that will truly protect you.
- Passwords should be at least eight letters long
- Do Include a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters
- Do Include at least one number
- Do Include at least one non alpha-numeric symbol (&, !, *)
- Don’t use the same password for every website
- Don’t use words that have an obvious association to you. (Ex: Doc1234 if you are a doctor or a pet’s name)
- Don’t let browsers or websites auto-remember your passwords if you are on a public computer or laptop
If the challenge of remembering a password that looks like “ComPlicAted24?” seems daunting, there are programs that can help. At Great Plains Communications, we recommend a program called Password Genie, which securely remembers your passwords for you when you are logged into your Password Genie account.
Do you have any additional tips to make your passwords as strong as possible? Let us know in the comments section below!